Monday, March 15, 2010

Contemptus Mundi

For the month of March I have been studying Monasticism. I have committed myself to dressing like a monk, praying like a monk (which is very extensive and hard to follow rigidly), and studying a lot about monasticism. Besides the fact that I will have the opportunity to visit a New Monastic environment in 2 days called Reba Place Fellowship. I have also been reading through a book called The Little Flowers of Saint Francis. The aforementioned book was written in Italian by companions of St. Francis of Assisi, and then translated into English by Raphael Brown.
The book had provided many insights into both modern and monastic life. My most meaningful message from the book is summed up in the Latin words “Contemptus Mundi”. Contemptus mundi means contempt for the world. I am a firm believer and man of understanding as far as this concept and the futility of worldly things. If I had one message for the world it would be contemptus mundi.
Jesus Christ, whom St. Francis, his followers, and I are seeking to follow was quite simple. He showed that the “abundant life” can be found by returning to the ways of the Father and following His example. This is put into practice by St. Francis and his followers (the Franciscans) by obeying 3 simple rules from the outset.
“If you wish to be perfect, go, and sell all you have, and give to the poor, and come and follow me” – words of Jesus Christ
“Take nothing for your journey, neither staff, nor wallet, nor bread, nor money” – words of Jesus Christ
“If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me” – words of Jesus Christ
The three quotes by the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ sum up the simple life that leads to abundant life.
When contemplating about the concept of contemptus mundi, I am led to think of the parable of the lost son. The story goes that a young son of a man asks his father for his inheritance and leaves his father’s house and goes and spends the money living a lavishly wild lifestyle. Finally at the end of the inheritance money, the son ends up feeding the pigs for a local neighbor. As the man thinks of his current circumstance as he is feeding the pigs, he decides to go back to his father’s house and beg forgiveness. The father welcomes him home not only forgiving him but excited that he has come back home.
How many of us, in the 21st Century, are stuck “feeding the pigs” as we chase after things of this world? Contemptus mundi is the answer to the ills that plague our lives.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Hey Mike! I have to say that your courage to dig so deeply into what you are studying is mind blowing! You certainly aren't satisfied with just reading a book about it! I love that you commit to all aspects of the view or doctrine you are studying in order to understand it fully. I hope that you will let us know how your studies continue!

I have not studied the view of "contemptus mundi" so I am not sure exactly what "world" is being refered to here. I agree that to have contempt of worldly things or cultural things or material things is good and biblical yet if having contempt for the "world" as in all things in the world I would disagree. There are many things in this world that I delight in - sometimes selfishly but I strive to delight in all things to bring glory to God.

If you get a chance could you shoot me an email explaining what exactly the word "world" means here? Thanks friend! Plus I want to know which night your rally is on so I can have a chance to meet you and shake your hand! Blessings! wanda