Thursday, March 4, 2010

All Ye Heretic's

“…the truth of the matter is that they are outside the Church of Christ”.

Well, it’s the beginning of March, and might I say, “Thank God”. I have completed my month of experimenting orthodox Christianity.
Consider the title and the quote I provided, that pretty much sums up my view of orthodox Christianity. I took the time to read a book, written by a Baptist become Orthodox (The Way: What Every Protestant Should Know About the Orthodox Church by Clark Carlon). The book interesting and I had a couple underlines and side notes, but honestly, if I had to made a direct statement concerning my understanding of the orthodox denomination, it would be pompous. Yes, I said it.
Basically, the orthodox view is that everyone else is heretics. I understand that Jesus Christ did make it very clear that Christianity was a narrow way, and that it is only through Him that we get to the Father, but I feel that the orthodox use this way too much to propose their way as the right way.
We must also consider the fact that when the disciples came back to Christ to tell him about others who were casting out demons and healing people, “in His name”, Jesus Christ did not say they were wrong. What did He say? “Do not stop him (Luke 9:49-50)”. I also find it quite interesting that this passage is involving the pride of the disciples and who would be the greatest.
Orthodox and Catholic Christians are very similar in the traditional sense, which I have come to have a distinct taste for. I understand that there will always be some things we disagree on, but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water, and find UNITY!
After all, as I stated to a man at the bank yesterday when speaking about the Church, “it’s all about serving and bringing glory to our Lord Jesus Christ, we need to seek to exhibit the unity that was found in the book of Acts, even amidst diversity”.
Also, for my duration of February, in the orthodox tradition the komboskini (prayer rope) is similar to the catholic rosary, yet much more humble. All you have to do is constantly recite, “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner”. Unfortunately, I did not feel the accountability that I needed with that routine. I had only attended Orthodox Church once in the entire month (I know, I know, shame on me).
One great educational resource I did take advantage of and enjoyed was the podcast called Ancient Faith. http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts . I learned about a radical monk named Rev. A.N. Experidon aka “The Bulgarian Monk” who was an encouragement to my radical, seemingly un-orthodox ways.
This month, monasticism. Yes, definitely a discussion and blog worth looking forward to!

Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worth living”. Surely the same is true of one’s faith, yet the vast majority of Christians- in America at any rate- never take time to examine their faith seriously, to understand why they believe what they believe and how that affects-or should affect-their lives” – excerpt from the book mentioned above.

Thanks for reading...look forward to conversation!
God bless in Christ,
Mike Miano

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Hi Mike!

Thanks for telling us how you really feel! LOL!

I think what you said to the person at the bank was SPOT ON! Amen to that brother!

I did wonder about your repeated statement for Christ to please have mercy on you...do you not feel that Christ has already had mercy on you? Or that you need to ask for mercy each time you sin? I am just curious to understand your thoughts on that.

I am called a heretic by some due to my embracing of a fulfilled eschatology view (preterism) and I believe that Christ did what He said He would do when He said He would do it...during the first century. So, while I approach Him daily in prayer and thanksgiving I always give praise and state my gratefulness of all that Christ did for me but I don't ask Him to do things He has already done.

The glorious news to us now is that we are living as fully redeemed, fully sanctified children of God and there is nothing that we can do to lose that assurance and nothing we can do to gain it...by God's grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone...right?

Blessings, friend. So, what are your plans for March? Hope you keep us updated! Wanda