Thursday, May 14, 2009

What is going on here?

First off let me say I love my Savior Jesus Christ, I love the Truth-Word of God, and I love my fellow believers and followers of the Messiah.
But really, what is going on here?
Yesterday, I had a meeting with a good friend and a pastor at a local church. Both great men of God. Today, I have spent the early morning praying, studying, and thinking about that meeting.
In prayer, I began to think "What is going on here". We, the radical, revolutionary followers of Christ Jesus, are beginning to look and sound more like an organizational entity rather than the band of followers who followed Christ.
I was aiming for a direct quote from the pastor I spoke with but I cant remember word for word, so here is a close summary.

A Ministry needs to plug into a Church, because the Church is the foundational authority, and also to make sure the ministry or its leader doesn't go off the deep end.

Now granted, the word ministry or an entity called a ministry is not in the Word of God. Ministry is understood to be a service to the Church. But the last part is having a hard time resonating with me. I do understand accountability, but which is to God not man or mans' institution.
"Off the deep end", Well aren't we suppose to be off the deep end? I mean in Christ, in Truth of course. Who considers what off the deep end is? A pastor? The Word of God? Off the deep end can mean many things to many people. Some people may think Christian rock and hip-hop is off the deep end in the Christian world, or baggy clothing. Or even contemporary worship. So, we must discern everything by the fruit it bears, but at the same time live in the liberty which is in Christ.
I was reminded of the many stories I have read in Church History, where believers have stepped up with something radical and were persecuted for it. Most of the churches and denominations of today, have come from these radical changes. Some examples would be the Waldenses, Lutherans, Baptists, and so many more. I can guarantee that the "Church" of that day, considered these sects to be "off the deep end".
Today, the church is beginning to look like an organization, where there is permission granted to do certain things the Lord is putting into the followers hearts. Maybe off the deep end means what is considered not normal,maybe not of the this world? Well so be it.
I hate to sound stubborn and conceited about things, but I cannot be a follower of a Messiah who defeated death, who set us free from the captivity of sin, and at the same time, have limited freedom to follow the spirit of God which lives within the Church.
We the Church, are not a religion (which also means to control), we are not religious (stuck by a set rules and guidelines), we are not an organization or business,...
WE ARE THE RADICAL BAND OF FOLLOWERS WHO ARE COMMITTED TO OUR MESSIAH AND HIS TRUTH, AND TOTALLY COMMITTED TO BE NOT OF THIS WORLD, AND TO "TURN THE WORLD UPSIDE-DOWN".
Let us live up to this,
Pastor Mike Miano
http://www.freakedoutfellowship.weebly.com

No comments: