Thursday, January 6, 2011

Good Ole’ New Years

Well here we are January 6, 2011. This New Year has not been met with much enthusiasm as I had seen in 2010, have we given up on the dreams of new hopes, new possibilities, etc.? I know in my case it is that I am still kind of caught up in the gains and pains of 2010.
11-11-11, will happen this year, so what’s your wish? What better than to commit now to making wishes that will become realities in 2011 or even 2012, come on now people, a little optimistic enthusiasm here (maybe I am trying to convince myself as well).
I am very strongly opinionated on the concept of setting New Year’s resolutions, as you will notice if you check out my blog around this time last year. Looking back at last year’s resolutions and putting them into the proper context, I would say I did fairly well. Pursuing His righteousness is a will be a continued goal, a good understanding I have learned through 2010 was that it wasn’t my righteousness but the righteousness of Jesus Christ that is vital to my life in Him (check out my blog about Puritanical Ostracism in September 2010). Also, missional courage and imagination coupled with striving toward a stronger prayer live will always be goals to elevate. Simplifying my life and loving Gabriella are double edged issues, which work in and out of each other (further explanation by personal communication). And the p90X was a failed adventure, Gabriella stuck it through and my Aunt Joanne may have gave it the best effort, but it was clearly not for me (ha ha ha). Bucket list ideas still going, still alive, and even more so free to live for Him by more and more knowledge of Him.
Ok, now into 2011. My simplified resolution is summed up in Matthew 6:33 which says "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and allow all things to be added unto you”. To explain- my goal for 2011 is to allow God to continually be first in all things by loving Him with my mind heart, soul, and strength coupled with allowing my goals (resolutions) to fall into place of what His kingdom and righteousness look like in my life. I detail these for accountability my brothers and sisters!
My own car by March,
Read entire Bible through Hebrew and Greek (still looking for study ideas...),
Memorize at least 1 entire book of the Bible (currently looking at Ephesians or Colossians),
Study systematic theology (basically have a solid foundational theology that I can clearly and concisely explain),
Start writing my personal book (possibly finish),
Develop my savings and credit accounts, build up a stronger God consciousness (love God with my soul!!),
Graduate,
Further my endeavors of church planting (begin plans, attend conferences, have meetings, etc.),
Learn basic Spanish and Arabic (maybe one or the other),
Continually participate in a holy experiment of living out the Bible
(Mark Batterson says: “What if every time we came across a verse that told us to do something, we thoughtfully and prayerfully figured out a way to translate it with our lives? What if we consistently, creatively, and courageously acted on each verse? What if we turned every verse into a HOLY EXPERIMENT”)?
As I finalize and sign off my resolutions I want to add some accountability factors. This year as I live seeking God’s kingdom and His righteousness, I strive to live with honesty and integrity in all things. Also, many goals are a virtue but I also want to accomplish some compassion-casting (opposed to vision casting- thanks Jim), I want to live a life that is challenging and inspiring but also LOVE MORE, LISTEN MORE, AND UNDERSTAND MORE!
-------Michael A. Miano-------
Well, thanks for reading. And it’s never too late to begin making 2011 resolutions. If you have made some I would love to share coffee, tea, or water (lol) with you and hear them as well and help you be accountable. If you have yet—let this be your inspiration!
Joy, Peace, and Love, follow me as I follow Jesus,
Mike Miano