Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Preterist??

As of last week, Freaked-Out Fellowship became a ministry within Messiah Reformed Church. Messiah Reformed Church (http://www.messiahreformed.com) is a reformed preterist church led by pastor Alan Bondar. That is basically to say that the church is sola-scriptura (scripture-alone) and believes in past fulfillment of all the Biblical prophecies. Yes, including the second coming of Jesus Christ in 70 A.D.
This is likely to cause a stir, therefore I would like to explain a bit of how I have come to a preterist understanding.
I met pastor Alan Bondar about 6-7 months ago in a casual encounter at the mall. We talked and became friends, eventually he explained his understanding of Christianity, and YES, I thought he was crazy. My goal from there on out was to prove that his loony view that Jesus Christ had come back was crazy and without scriptural proof.
Our beginning conversations began with Alan asking me what do I believe happens to us when we die. I realized that I had a view but wasn’t really sure on the scripture basis, therefore this sent me for my first of many dives into the Word to figure out the scriptures that shape my understanding. After asking many pastoral church leaders, and searching for answers (like the Bereans) I came to a soul sleep view, somewhat similar to Hades. I will not go into much detail here but if you are interested in that study let me know.
AS I began to meet with Alan, and eventually visit his church, I began to “read the Bible through new covenant eyes” (also the title of Alan Bondar’s new book). I realized that there are many scriptures in the Word of God that have been unanswered for me and also glazed over in most “context” churches. Also, Biblical interpretation is an issue, and audience relevancy is a serious matter in Biblical Hermeneutics. The Biblical letters and writings were written for a certain people in a certain time (that is context!!), yet it is “for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that is in righteousness”.
AS of lately, just wresting through scriptures I have asked some friends for their opinions, and a re-occuring theme is “why does it matter”. Well, I know there are many churches out there that treat eschatology (end-times) as just an add on factor of our faith, but that is crazy! Does Truth matter? If the estimates of 2/3 of the Bible is prophecy concerning end-times I would say it definetly does matter. Lately, I have realized that our salvation is dependant upon escatology. How much salvation do you have? What is your understanding of the “presence of God”? These things matter! Also, who is Israel (which always seems to open the floor for debate)? What is the kingdom of God?
As far as Freaked-Out Fellowship, we will not change our focus. As far as spreading the gospel through prophetic imagination, the understanding of a preterist worldview actually makes our hope that much stronger. A proper understanding of salvation and the promises of our awesome God, makes being “freaked-out” that much more easies, and Spirit-led.
Here is the mission statement of Messiah Reformed Church- “Messiah Reformed Church exists to glorify God
by pursuing and sharing our joy through the knowledge of Him.”

Combining that with the motto of Freaked-Out Fellowship, “turning the world upside-down”, makes perfect sense. Why? It is our understanding of Jesus Christ and what He did for us, that gives us a joy worth sharing (Good News).
I can imagine that most people will have questions and concerns, and I would love to dicuss these things with you in much more detail, so please feel free to email or call me.
In His service, by His love,
Michael Miano
The time is near ; Yes I am coming soon ... Revelation 22:10-12

3 comments:

Wanda said...

Well, I told you before it was only a matter of time before you became a full preterist!

It will be fascinating to see how the fulfilled redemption view effects your everyday life Mike!

I hope that you will continue to chronical your experiences! Blessings, brother! wanda

elderchild said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elderchild said...

Yes! The Messiah DID "Come Again" and "QUICKLY" when the natural, earthly, temporal temple realm centered in old jerusalem DID decay, wax old and vanish away!

However, what good shall such head knowledge be for those souls who yet be believe in the "imag"ined pagan catholic and christian 'jesus christ"?

For TRUTH IS, both Joshua of the old covenant and The Messiah received the same GOD given birth name!

Check out the greek septuagint(the greek version of the old covenant which was translated some 400 years before The Messiah's birth in "the likeness of sinful flesh") and a greek New Testament manuscript. Hard copies of both and not the internet versions, for many versions on the internet have been altered in the past 10 years or so!

Such will reveal that both The Messiah and Joshua were given the same birth name, which when translated into the pagan greek was "Ιησούς"! http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2011/08/name-of-messiah.html

Thankfully TRUTH IS! and Miracles do happen.......

HalleluYAH!