Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Primitive Christianity

I just finished reading Mark Batterson’s latest book, Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity. To be completely honest, when I first received the book in the mail and read the back and inside panel, a sense of disappointment gripped me. “A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity” is a very deep saying, and a similar quest is going on in various circles as we speak. When I read the brief descriptions, I questioned whether or not Pastor Mark would be able to give “primitive Christianity” its due respect.
As I read on, I realized I was wrong. Mark Batterson was to bring us back to simplicity and remind us of the most important aspects of the faith we claim. As stated by Batterson,
“Many Christians settle for simplicity on the near side of complexity. Their faith is only mind deep. They know what they believe, but they don’t know why they believe what they believe. Their faith is fragile because it has never been tested intellectually or experientially”.
We all know the Great Commandment that which I think we fail to internalize, “Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, mind, soul, and strength”. How many times have we recited this without thinking it through? Mr. Batterson breaks down the deeper thought of heart, mind, soul, and strength in ways I have never thought of.
As with all his books, Mark describes and explains things so well. Reminds me of a parable being told by Jesus Christ Himself, even if you don’t understand what he says, read further and you will. That’s the faith we can have in Mark Batterson as a writer.
The four elements that Mark described Great Commandment Christianity with, on the inside cover of the book, began to take on new meaning as you read through the book. Sure, you know and can define compassion, wonder, curiosity, and power, but let me say the way Mark Batterson adds personal testimony and descriptive insights of an intelligent mind, give you a sense of a true quest.
If I had to say one thing about how this book showed me a sense of primitive Christianity and the character of the author, Mark Batterson, I would say this;
Mark Batterson is an excellent example of a modern day apostle equipped with experiential stories, vast knowledge told in a parabolic way, and truly a life worth talking about. Without being to “blasphemous”, let me say, this book is a great addition to the Book of Acts!
Go out, get this book for the beginning of 2010. Read it, and let’s “start a coup de compassion the likes of which has not been seen since the first century”.

No comments: